The Paris prosecutor’s office asked an investigating judge to investigate the rape allegations against the actor Gérard Depardieu, who denies them, after initially opting for the dismissal, the public ministry told AFP.
The complainant, an actress in her twenties, filed a complaint with the constitution of a civil party to relaunch this case, which had been abandoned by justice in early 2019.
Complaints with a civil party constitution allow a judicial process to be opened almost automatically and to appoint an investigating judge.
Now the investigating judge will have to decide whether to launch an investigation, which is usually done in the vast majority of cases.
The plaintiff “wants justice and in particular the judicial authorities … to be able to do their work with serenity and calm,” her lawyer Elodie Tuaillon-Hibon said in a statement, regretting that the preliminary investigation ended “inexplicably in dismissal. “
Gérard Depardieu’s lawyer, Hervé Témime, declined to comment on the information.
In June 2019, the prosecution, after nine months, closed its preliminary investigation and explained that “the numerous investigations carried out” did not allow “to characterize the reported violations.”
According to the actress, the events would have taken place in the palace that Depardieu has in Paris on August 7 and 13, 2018.