Fighting between Azerbaijan troops and Armenian-backed separatists leaves dozens dead | World

0
10


The fighting that began on Sunday, the most violent since 2016, has sparked international unrest and prompted the UN, Russia, France and the United States to call for an immediate ceasefire.

Azerbaijan and Armenia face off over border territory

Turkey supports Azerbaijan

Turkey announced full support for Azerbaijan, which led Armenia to accuse the country of political and military interference in the conflict.

The head of European diplomacy, Josep Borrell, said that escalation of fighting is “very worrying” and that “no outside interference is acceptable”.

Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Map – Photo: Alexandre Mauro / G1

Defense Ministry of Nagorno Karabak, a separatist province of Azerbaijan inhabited mostly by Armenians, announced on Monday the death of 28 soldiers, bringing the number of military casualties in the region to 55 since the beginning of hostilities.

Five Azeri civilians and two Armenian civilians from Karabakh also died.

Azerbaijan lost control of Nagorno Karabakh after the collapse of the Soviet Union and after a war that left 30,000 dead, concluded with a ceasefire signed in 1994.

So far, Azerbaijan has not announced any military casualties.

The balance may be more serious, however, since both sides claim to have inflicted hundreds of casualties on the opponent, disseminating in particular images of destroyed armor.

Baku claims to have killed 550 enemy soldiers and Yerevan claims to have eliminated more than 200.

The defense ministry of Nagorno Karabakh announced that it regained lost positions on Sunday.

At the same time, Azerbaijan said it had conquered more territories.

The Armed Forces “attack enemy positions with rockets, artillery and aviation. They have taken several strategic positions around Talych locality. The enemy is backing down,” said the Azerbaijan Defense Ministry.

In recent years, the Baku government has devoted a large part of the oil revenue to the purchase of arms.

After several weeks of war rhetoric, Azerbaijan announced a “counteroffensive” in response to what it called “Armenia’s” aggression “. The country uses artillery, armor and airplanes against the province controlled by Armenian separatists.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan accused his country’s historic enemy of declaring “war on the Armenian people”, while Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev promised “victory”.

The president of the self-proclaimed republic of Nagorno Karabakh, Arayik Harutyunyan, said that “Turkey, not Azerbaijan” is fighting against separatist territory. “There are helicopters, F-16s, troops and mercenaries from different countries,” he said.

Moscow, which maintains cordial relations with the two belligerents and is considered a regional arbitrator, has a closer relationship with Armenia, which is part of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (OTSC), a military alliance dominated by Russia.

All mediation efforts to resolve the conflict failed and the two countries fought a battle on the northern border in July, the most violent acts since 2016 that have sparked fears of destabilization in the region.

The two states enacted martial law, and Armenia, a general mobilization. Azerbaijan has imposed a curfew in parts of the country, including the capital Baku.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here