It became clear after Lars Lagerbäck presented the squad that will play the European Championship playoffs against Serbia on October 8, in addition to the national league matches against Romania and Northern Ireland. All three matches are played at Ullevaal Stadium.
– It is clear when you are selected for the A national team for the first time, you will be surprised and it is incredibly big, Hauge says at a press conference at Aspmyra after the selection.
– I have played for Norway since boys 15 and been on the steps up to the A national team. And finally get taken out where it means a lot.
Hauge has played for the U21 national team since last year, but this is the first time he has been selected for the A national team.
– He has had an enormous development this season, says Lagerbäck about Hauge.
– Hauge’s strong point is a one-on-one situation. He can go both right and left and has speed. It’s his x-factor.
In addition to Hauge, Coventry player Leo Skiri Østigård (20) is also new to the squad. Due to the corona pandemic, 26 players have been selected for the next three international matches:
– Should have been a little younger
In addition to an extra large squad, it is also unusual for Lagerbäck that players will be taken out for three national team matches.
– We are not used to a squad for three matches, so this will be a bit special, says Lagerbäck.
But the squad maintains a high level, and the 72-year-old national team manager should have been a couple of years younger to be able to lead the national team further.
– One should have been a little younger and could have been with a few more years. For this is a tribe that can stand for ten years, and that everything today is at a very high level. But one is out too late, as usual.
See the press conference with Lagerbäck at Ullevaal:
Milan have shown interest
Debutant Hauge has been one of Bodø / Glimt’s big players this season, and after the Europa League match at the San Siro, AC Milan has shown interest in the 20-year-old.
– I know there is contact. They liked what they saw when we met them and like what they have seen before. We almost just have to see what happens. They play a type of football that I could enjoy. It is an exciting opportunity that must be taken seriously and considered, Hauge told NRK on Sunday.
And the pressure will hardly be less after the national team selection.
– Of course it’s fun. This is how my everyday life has become, in the last months after I said no to Belgium, Hauge says after the withdrawal on Monday.
The other newcomer in the national team squad, Østigård, is on loan at Coventry from Brighton.
The most important match that awaits this squad is the European Championship playoff – the match of fate – against Serbia on October 8. This is followed by national league matches against Romania on 11 October and against Northern Ireland on 14 October.