Casper Ruud was superior in the first round of the Grand Slam tournament French Open in tennis on Monday night.
Against Japanese Yuichi Sugita, he won in three straight sets (6-1, 6-3, 6-1) in an impressive way. But there are other statistics that make the tennis world open its eyes to the Norwegian superstar.
With the victory, Ruud has now won 16 games on gravel this season. No other players have won more gravel matches this year, writes ATP Tour on its website.
– Of course it’s nice. It shows that he is one of the better in gravel this year, says dad and coach Christian Rudd to NRK.
16 victories and great form
It should also be mentioned that Ruud has played a lot more tournaments than the very best this season. The four best-ranked tennis players in the world have played a total of three gravel tournaments this year. Ruud has played five – and made it to two finals and two semifinals.
– There are some of those in the top 10-15 who have not played so much gravel, so that statistic may be a bit of a lie, but it shows that Casper is one of the better players on gravel so far this year. It’s fun to be at the top of that statistic, says Christian Ruud.
– It says that the potential of Casper is great. He is young and working on, we try to do better all the time, he adds.
Has struggled with the shoulder
In any case, the last few weeks show that the 21-year-old is in great shape. And this week, the Ruud French Open is playing, one of the four most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world. The tournament is played on gravel.
– I hope he can do well here too, then we will see what the future brings, if Casper can become a new gravel star. We can hope for that, says dad Ruud.
The statistics in the first match this week were also impressive. Halfway through the match, Ruud had won more than twice as many points as the opponent had done. Ruud won the sets 6-1, 6–3 and 6–1.
Before the match, Ruud had struggled a bit with a sore shoulder after the tournaments the last two weeks. Papa Ruud does not think that shoulder will create major challenges for the rest of the French Open.
– I think the legs looked good, and the shoulder looked good too. We are pleased that it was a fairly short match as well, says dad Ruud to Eurosport.
In the next round, Casper Ruud meets Tommy Paul. Paul is ranked as the 55th best tennis player in the world. The match is played according to plan on Wednesday.