Tottenham beat Chelsea after the penalty drama.
Tottenham – Chelsea 1-1 (5-4 on penalties):
Some unbelievable scenes unfolded towards the end of the second half of the league cup match between Tottenham and Chelsea. That’s when Eric Dier ran off the field and into the locker room, to go to the bathroom.
After him Jose Mourinho ran, clearly annoyed. After a while, Dier returned to the field and Mourinho to the sideline.
– Mourinho was not gentle, but nature calls. I could not do anything about it, said a laughing and slightly embarrassed Eric Dier to Sky Sports after the match.
Mourinho, for his part, boasted of Dier.
– I have to highlight Eric in particular. It should not have been allowed to play two matches in 48 hours at this level. It’s not human, and that may be why he had to go out, because he was dehydrated. “I had to push him a little to get him back, but he is an example to all the others,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.
Dier was named the course’s best. He placed the prize on the toilet, something he immortalized on Instagram:
The real M.O.M
He was with when the home team equalized towards the end and even shot the first penalty kick when the decision fell 5-4.
The first nine penalties went in goal, before Chelsea player Mason Mount sent the final post-out.
Timo Werner scored his first goal as a Chelsea player in the first half, the blue jerseys dominated overall. In the 19th minute, César Azpilicueta stole the ball from Sergio Reguilon and found the German, who was pressured by two men shot in the corner.
Chelsea seemed to be on their way to a clear victory, but after the break it was Tottenham who took the initiative, and in the 83rd minute came the equalizer. This time Reguilon assisted in the debut with a nice post. Lamela scored at the longest post.
Mourinho realized something was wrong before the Tottenham match: – I thought I had grown
In the locker room
In the penalty shootout, Dier, Lamela, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Lucas Moura and Harry Kane scored for Tottenham. Tammy Abraham, Azplicueta, Jorginho and Emerson scored for Chelsea before Mount missed.
– I am so happy, and very proud of how we played after the first quarter. We showed them too much respect, but after that we were fantastic, Dier told Sky Sports.
– We had to put together a team with the players who were available, and before the penalties I told them that they were fantastic in the second half. Then we made Chelsea look ordinary, Mourinho said.
Sergio Reguilon made his debut for Tottenham in a team with nine changes from this weekend’s league game.
Frank Lampard gave newcomer Edouard Mendy his debut in goal, as Chelsea’s third goalkeeper in as many games. Ben Chilwell also made his debut from the start.
– It was disappointing to lose, but I also saw things I liked, said Lampard, who said that Werner did not take punishment because he had cramps.
Tottenham manager Mourinho said before the match that the league has not given Tottenham an opportunity to fight for victory in the league cup. After Tuesday’s match, his team will play a decisive match against Maccabi Haifa on Thursday in a battle for a place in the Europa League group stage, between two PL weekends.
– I would like to fight for this trophy, but I do not think we can. The Europa League group stage gives us money that is very important for a club like ours, he said.
But now Tottenham is still ready for the quarterfinals.