Coach Cuca took responsibility for Santos’ 1-0 loss to Atlético-GO on Wednesday night, at Vila Belmiro, which ended an unbeaten record of 12 games for Peixe.
In a press conference, Cuca praised Santos’ first half, but stated that the team did not fit after the substitutions in the final stage and gave plenty of space for the opponents.
– Santos’ first half was very good, well played, we had several opportunities. We have sinned a little more than normal when it comes to scoring. Atlético-GO didn’t have a chance in the first half, we controlled well. We deserved to have scored a goal that would change the opponent’s posture. In the second half, with the moves I made, the team didn’t fit anymore. We tried to create a new suit, to have some advantage, but it didn’t happen, on the contrary. The team got a little lost, there were moments when we gave many counterattacks – admitted Cuca.
– It’s my fault for the defeat. I will never throw responsibility on boys. We finished the game with six or seven boys from the base. Within a defeat they will mature as well. Marcos Leonardo had a clear chance, unfortunately he lost. Although, for the first time we did, we deserved a different luck. In those times that the opponent is in the defensive game, the game does not run, we lack experience, which is what we naturally did not have – continued the coach.
Santos coach Cuca in the match against Atlético-GO – Photo: Ivan Storti / Santos FC
Santos suffered again with absences and did not have names like Marinho, Lucas Veríssimo, Alison, injured, and Soteldo, who was with the Venezuelan team. Cuca again demanded reinforcements, just as he had done after the victory over Goiás.
It is worth remembering that Peixe cannot register players, now due to debts with Huachipato (for Soteldo) and Atlético Nacional (for Felipe Aguilar, who is no longer in the club).
– In a defeat, I will not say things that I did not say in the victory. But I also talked about the victory, in Goiânia. We need to strengthen our squad, championships are tough. We know you have a short cast. We had Zé Welison, who was not approved by the Council, another contract that was coming and did not have time. Copet that is flying and I can’t use it.
Santos’ next game is on Saturday, at 19h (from Brasília), away from home, against Coritiba.
Best moments: Santos 0 x 1 Atlético-GO for the 16th round of the Brasileirão
– Now is not the time for us to talk about this topic. We had a lot of conversation, with several people from the club, over him. He, for me, is a wonderful person, an example of a player, he was always correct in all the attitudes he had. We don’t have a moment in his career that should be denigrated. There is the episode off the field, which is under judgment, and we have to wait. What I can do to help Robinho in life I will do.
– I think he did very well. In the situation that the game was presented, he had a very good game.
– I react with sadness. He is a player who is prepared, he is versatile, he could help us a lot. Felipe Jonatan is worn out. It is sorely needed, but we have to know how to manage. It is not up to me why he is not able to play.
Alison, Veríssimo and Marinho
– Of course they care. They are injured. They are sorely missed.
+ Click here and learn all about Santos FC