Early exit for Ruud in Italy

0
6


Casper Ruud (21) was the third seed in the ATP 250 tournament in Cagliari and therefore had a walkover in the first round. But the favorite stamp and extra rest was not enough to move on from the second round.

In the meeting with German Yannick Hanfmann, Ruud lost in two straight sets with the numbers 6-2 and 6-1 to the 193 centimeter tall 28-year-old. Hanfmann spent just over an hour sending Ruud out of the tournament.

– It was a bad day for the usually speedy Casper. At the same time, I also want to say that the opponent was very good this time and succeeded with everything out on the field, says Ruud’s father and coach Christian Ruud to NTB.

It is the first time after the corona crisis that Ruud has lost an ATP match against a player who is lower seeded than him, writes NTB. Ruud is ranked number 25 in the world, while Hanfmann is far further down the list in 101st place.

Ruud never got the game to vote and was broken already in the first game. In total, Ruud won just three games in the match, which is the first since the exit of Dominic Thiem in the French Open earlier in October.

– Casper struggled with the fact that the field was a bit narrow. He often likes to stand far behind and control the game. Besides, he did not get to put his usual pressure on the forehand. This is how it is sometimes in tennis. A lot has happened lately, so maybe he was a little tired too, Christian Ruud explained.

Ruud’s next tournament is hardcourt and will be played in Vienna from October 26. Later he ends the season with the Masters 1000 tournament in Paris.

– Now we travel home to train and prepare indoors for the last two tournaments this season, says the coaching dad.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here