There are only a few days left until the US election, and the fierce election campaign between Donald Trump and Joe Biden has created a huge political division, also in American families. Many have stopped talking to their loved ones. Some of them are getting divorced.
One of them is 37-year-old Alissa Markovsky, who lives in Florida. She has been married for seven years.
She had a happy marriage, but the US presidential election has changed the relationship significantly.
– My husband voted for Barack Obama in 2008. After watching TV programs that like Trump, he started to like Trump, she says.
Markovsky has already voted for Democratic candidate Joe Biden, while her husband will vote for Republican candidate Donald Trump.
Political division has led to a growing tension in the family, and the quarrel over politics has become more and more common.
– We have quarreled and shouted a lot to each other. Now it has gotten so bad that he moved out. It has made me sad that we have ended up here, she says to TV2.
They have been separated for a few months, and they are not talking about getting back together.
– I do not think I will be able to move from the US if Trump wins, but nothing is impossible for me, she says in the end.
Alissa’s husband will not comment on the case.
– Stopped talking to his mother
Stacy Sanders is also among those voting for Biden. She is the office manager for a general contractor and lives in Florida.
The 46-year-old has been married to an American man for five years. Her husband, Michael, has been a Republican for many years, but this was not a problem for her until Donald Trump became president.
Now many in her family are Trump supporters. Her husband and mother are just two of them.
– Lately I have been arguing a lot with my mother. The last quarrel we had was about the protests and finally I said to her, “I’m sorry, but you’re so full of hate,” and now we have not talked for a while.
The worst thing for her is that her husband supports Trump.
– Our quarrels start with asking questions about something that has happened, or I ask “how in the world can you still support him” also it does not go well. It ends with an argument where we shout at each other very loudly, she tells TV 2.
The American woman despairs that the policy has affected her marriage.
– It is no longer about politics. It’s about values. If you and I do not share the same values, how can we be married? I have also lost all respect for him. How can a marriage survive like this? she asks.
Sanders has two daughters, and now Sanders feels sad, lonely, angry and worried about the children’s future.
– We are so divided right now
Do not forgive the man
– I will never forgive Trump supporters and will remember how they have given power to him. That includes my husband. I know that our marriage will not survive if there is a new period with Trump, she says.
Sanders says she follows the news closely, and reads a lot. According to her, the process is very aggravating, and the election process has also been very destructive to other conditions in her life.
– There are certain friends I no longer talk to, I also try to avoid family gatherings for fear that political issues will come up, because I refuse to keep quiet, she says.
Finally, she says that Trump has caused so much division and racism in the country, she believes.
– Now our country is going through the most divided time in our history. I recognize the country longer. This is all Trump has done, she says.
– Influenced by fake news
Another American woman TV 2 has been in contact with, does not want to say her real name because of her daughter. We have chosen to call her “Emma”. She is a Trump supporter, but her 13-year-old daughter supports Biden.
Emma emphasizes that Donald Trump is the best president the country has had so far. According to her, President Trump has done his best to lift the country up, but talks about Trump lead to quarrels in her home.
– When we talk about Trump in front of my daughter, she is extremely upset, she says. It will be a screaming battle, she says.
Emma thinks her daughter has the right to say her own opinion, but in the future she will see the lies about Trump.
She hopes her daughter will stop reading fake news about the president.
Americans in Norway have voted – now they are eagerly awaiting the result
– I have told her a lot about what Trump has done as in the abortion case, and showed her some pictures about how abortion takes place, but she will not believe. There is a lot of fake news now, and my daughter is affected by them, she says.
Emma is worried about her daughter. She thinks her daughter is depressed, and the young people need psychological therapy because of Biden supporters, she says and adds:
– Our country has become extremely violent towards those who support Trump, hoping that what it will be normalized after the election.
The journalist behind the article, Aysun Yazıcı, is a journalist from Turkey who lives in exile in Norway. She is affiliated with TV 2’s foreign department.