(Newcastle – Manchester United 1-4) When it came to a new downturn for Ole Gunnar Solskjær (47), the superstars struck with a wonderful attacking play that secured three valuable points for the pressured manager.
With three minutes left of regular time, at 1-1, Manchester United rolled up an attack taken out of a Sir Alex Ferguson dream: Donny van de Beek and Bruno Fernandes combined nicely, Juan Mata knocked the ball out to Marcus Rashford, who cut into the field and played free Fernandes, who pricked the ball perfectly in the crossbar.
The Portuguese could breathe a sigh of relief; earlier in the inning, he had missed a penalty kick for the first time in his Manchester United career.
– I was frustrated after missing the penalty, but we reacted well and scored fantastic goals, Fernandes says in a TV 2 broadcast interview.
Sunshine: – People try to create divisions
It was obviously the night of unusual events: Just after the 2-1 goal, right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka hammered the ball up the crossbar and scored his first goal for the club. Then Marcus Rashford put on 4-1 after a perfect backroom pass by Fernandes.
The away win over Newcastle, where Solskjær’s men lost a similar match last year, gives Solskjær a long-awaited respite after his position as manager has been questioned in recent weeks. Manchester United now have six points from four games in the Premier League, while PSG await in the Champions League on Tuesday.
The Norwegian manager was clearly happy and relieved after the match, when he with a big smile on his face embraced his players in the rain at St. James’ Park.
– Our season started today, warns Solskjær, while captain Harry Maguire is surprised that there has been a bit of a storm around the club after two losses in the first three league games:
– It’s crazy, because we were three games in the season, and it seemed like a big crisis.
– We want a response. We want energy and a good attitude. We want players who fight as a team and play as a team both with and without the ball, Solskjær said in a TV interview before the start of the match.
Before two minutes had passed, he was served the exact opposite: Manchester United lost the ball high up in Newcastle’s half of the field, Callum Wilson turned away a rushing Victor Lindelöf, Allan Saint-Maximin accelerated the counterattack and played Jonjo Shelvey, who pushed on. to Emil Krafth. His shot hit the leg of Luke Shaw, took David de Gea on the bed and ended his journey in the net.
– Jesus. For a disaster, Manchester Evening News journalist Samuel Luckhurst responded Twitter.
Sunshine looked thoughtful on the sidelines. He had surprised in the team selection by putting both Paul Pogba and Donny van de Beek on the bench, while Mason Greenwood was not even in the squad. Instead, Juan Mata and Daniel James started their respective matches. The move was not an immediate success, but it would pay off eventually.
Sunshine about the Premier League without spectators: – More like training matches
Maguire struck back
After 19 minutes, Bruno Fernandes sent a free kick in high over the penalty box. However, the referee was unimpressed, and booked him for diving. Four minutes later there was nothing to complain about the replays when captain Harry Maguire stepped up and stabbed a Juan Mata corner.
The scoring was important for Manchester United and Solskjær, but perhaps most important for Maguire himself: The midfielder has experienced a nightmare since this summer’s violence in Greece, with weak performances on the field which peaked with expulsion after half an hour in England’s match against Denmark on Wednesday.
– This is how you respond to a difficult period of your career and life. You do not give up. You get up and fight. Happy on behalf of Maguire, writes TV profile and former national team player Gary Lineker Twitter.
– We were led by a very, very inspiring captain, says Solskjær about Maguire.
Another who has been in the media spotlight lately is Bruno Fernandes. The Portuguese playmaker, who was replaced at the break in the 1-6 humiliation against Tottenham before the national team break, had to fight back earlier this week against rumors that he is dissatisfied with Solskjær as manager.
After a short tussle with the defender, Marcus Rashford finally tucked the ball home. in the Manchester United career.
Karl Darlow was masterful in the Newcastle goal, as was the often insulted David de Gea on the opposite side; the Spaniard’s fever rescue after a Wilson finish from close range was the match’s most impressive single performance.
Newcastle were played lower and lower towards the end of the match, Solskjær threw in both Pogba and van de Beek, and with three minutes left of regular time it should loosen up completely: Fernandes scored the liberating 2-1 goal, Wan-Bissaka put on to 3-1 before Rashford crowned the evening by scoring on the last kick of the match.
- Champions League
- European League
VG Discount Codes
A commercial collaboration with kickback.no