- Everton – Liverpool 2-2 (1-1). Follow Dagbladet’s football broadcast on Saturday from 20.00
While Liverpool’s goal was to get up after the embarrassing 2-7 match against Aston Villa, Everton had the opportunity to consolidate their position at the top of the table on Saturday morning.
Liverpool had the victory partly in their pocket, but Everton fought back, and are still undefeated in this year’s season.
Everton – Liverpool 2-2 (1-1)
Goal: 0-1 Sadio Mané (3), 1-1 Michael Keane (19), 1-2 Mohamed Salah (72), 2-2 Dominic Calvert-Lewin (81).
Judging: Michael Oliver.
Yellow card: James Rodríguez, André Gomes, Allan, Everton, Sadio Mané, Fabinho, Liverpool.
Red card: Richarlison (90), Everton. (NTB)
The Merseyside derby was far from perfect without drama – among other things, Virgil van Dijk had to leave with an injury after being cut down by Jordan Pickford – who escaped without consequences. With three minutes left, Richarlison was also sent off after a tackle on Thiago, and Liverpool responded immediately by putting the ball in goal.
However, it was canceled after a fine offside.
– I am happy with the performance, it is perhaps the best away game we have played. We dominate against a good team and created many chances. Then we conceded two goals. It is difficult, there are several things that happened today. I have not seen the offside, but the way Pickford went in, I think is a clear punishment, says Jürgen Klopp in the interview shown on TV 2.
Regarding the canceled goal, he says the following:
– I have seen the situation again, and in that picture it is not offside. It’s incomprehensible to me. Can anyone explain it to me ?, says Klopp.
Liverpool took the lead almost immediately at Goodison Park on Saturday morning. Sadio Mané finished off a great pass from the left, knocking it past the keeper without a problem.
Although the scoring came early, it was not contrary to the match picture. Liverpool initially controlled the match.
However, the Reds got a bang when midfielder Virgil van Dijk had to leave after just ten minutes, after an ugly tackle by Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford – who was lucky to escape without a card in the situation.
– Dangerous to life, says TV 2 presenter Jon Hartvig Børrestad.
– It is the ugliest thing I have seen on a football field, says expert Brede Hangeland.
Everton came to life. After just 20 minutes of play, a new cold shower came for Liverpool when Michael Keane put the ball in goal after a corner kick.
Trent Alexander-Arnold put in a strong free kick a few minutes later, but Pickford was able to push the ball to the corner. Sadio Mané also came to a new, big chance when Andy Robertson placed the ball in the middle of the 16-meter and Mané fired off.
That attempt also went off target.
But Liverpool got paid for the effort, and got the ball in goal. With just over a quarter of an hour left, Mohamed Salah knocked from nothing from 12 meters, and the ball was in the goal behind Pickford.
Stuck in equalization
And good scoring.
Liverpool followed up with some chances that forced Pickford to show their best side.
But Everton may have the Premier League’s best striker right now in Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Barely ten minutes before the end, he apparently towered sky high over the Liverpool defense when he stabbed in 2-2.
Shortly before the end, it became dramatic again when Richarlison was sent into the locker room after a tackle on Thiago. The answer came immediately, and Liverpool put the ball in goal – and after a VAR look, the goal was canceled for offside.
– Nobody likes this. We have discussed it so many times. All coaches, experts and supporters probably agree, says TV 2 expert Nils Johan Semb
The Reds had several great chances, but failed to stop Everton’s series as undefeated in the Premier League season 2020/2021.