The defense of Robinho took a position on the details of the process in which the player was sentenced to nine years in prison at first instance in Italy for gang rape against a young woman of Albanian origin. The athlete’s lawyers, announced as reinforcement for Santos and whose contract was suspended after negative repercussions, said there was a “misinterpretation” in relation to the conversations recorded with judicial authorization and again denied that the attacker was guilty of the crime.
Telephone interception transcripts carried out with court authorization showed that Robinho revealed to have participated in the act that led an Albanian woman to accuse the player and five friends of collective rape in Milan, Italy. In 2017, the Italian court relied mainly on these recordings to convict the attacker in the first instance.
According to the investigation, Robinho and five other friends, including Ricardo Falco, who was also convicted, took the woman to the dressing room of a nightclub called Sio Café in Milan, and sexually abused her there. The case happened on January 22, 2013, when the athlete defended Milan. The other suspects left Italy in the course of the investigation, so their participation in the act is the subject of another lawsuit.
According to Robinho’s lawyers, Alexander Guttieres, Franco Moretti and Marisa Alija, he is not guilty of the crime and sexual intercourse was allowed. “The player reiterates that he did not commit the crime of which he is accused and that whenever he had sex, he was in a consented way”, says an excerpt from the official note.
The defense of the player stated that “there was no sexual violence, nor admission of guilt in the telephone interceptions”, said that “there is sufficient evidence in Robinho’s innocence” and that there are “others that will still be presented to the Italian Justice that will certainly lead to the your absolution “.
In addition to the telephone interception with the authorization of the Justice, the Italian police installed a bug in the car used by Robinho in the country. In one of the dialogues with the musician Jairo Chagas, who played in the nightclub in Milan on the night of the episode, the player revealed that the victim was drunk.
For lawyers, there was an error in the interpretation of Justice in the translation of the dialogues into the Italian language. “There are several intercepted conversations that have not been correctly translated into the Italian language, which has led to misinterpretation,” the statement said.
The decision of the Milan Court, handed down in 2017, is not yet definitive and has been the subject of challenge to the defenses of the Santos player and Ricardo Falco, the other convicted friend. Their lawyers filed an appeal and both respond freely. There are two more instances in Italy until the lawsuit is final, that is, until the remedies are exhausted. The case will be heard in the second instance by the Milan court of appeal in December.
“We have full confidence in the Italian Justice, in the success of the defensive appeal and in the reform of the decision, aware that the submission of the deed to the higher courts allows precisely to avoid judicial errors and unfair convictions”, concludes the defenders.
The repatriation of Robinho by Santos generated a very negative impact on social networks. Supporters protested and Orthopride has already broken the sponsorship contract with the club. In addition, other sponsors, such as Tekbond and Kicaldo, threatened to stop supporting the team financially if the athlete was kept in the squad. President Orlando Rollo asked for prudence in relation to the case and defended the striker, the same stance of coach Cuca. The coach stressed that he is “a wonderful person and” example of a player “.
Read in full the statement from Robinho’s lawyers:
“Regarding the recordings of the Robinho case in the Italian court, the lawyers of the player Robson de Souza clarify:
1. The player reiterates that he did not commit the crime of which he is accused and that whenever he has had sex, he has consented;
2. Taxally there was no sexual violence or admission of guilt in telephone interceptions, which is clear when analyzed in its entirety and in the correct context;
3. As it is a confidential and still ongoing process, we are prevented from talking about the merits of the charges. However, regarding the disclosure itself, it must be clarified that there is sufficient evidence in the file of Robinho’s innocence – which unfortunately was not disclosed in the matter – and others that will still be presented to the Italian Justice, which will certainly lead to his acquittal. There are several intercepted conversations that were not correctly translated into Italian, which led to misinterpretation.
4. We are fully confident in the Italian Justice, in the success of the defensive appeal and in the reform of the decision, aware that the submission of the deed to the higher courts allows precisely to avoid judicial errors and unfair convictions.
5. Finally, Robinho thanks the support of the Santos Futebol Clube fans and, as a family man and athlete, he makes a point of emphasizing that he rejects all forms of violence. “
Copyright © Estadão. All rights reserved.