A danger warning has been issued for snow down to 200 meters in large parts of southern Norway on Tuesday night.
– People must consider whether the car is suitably shuttered. It’s okay to be on the safe side. We are well into October, so it’s time for that, says on-duty meteorologist Espen Biseth Granan at the Meteorological Institute to NTB.
The danger warning applies to Monday and Tuesday, and for many it is the first snowfall of the autumn. Granan is especially aware that there may also be snow in populated areas.
– We do not get snow down in the center of Oslo, but in Greater Oslo and Romerike it can come. In addition, the Mjøs region, where a lot of people live, is vulnerable, he says.
– The temperature is expected to rise quickly beyond Tuesday, so then there may be a transition to rain, the meteorologist says.
In the interior, on the other hand, he does not rule out that the snow may remain for a while.
– If it reaches up to 15 centimeters, it will quickly lie down if no hot air enters. It takes a bit to get rid of it, he says.
Rain in the west
The danger warning has been sent out for Telemark, Viken, Oslo, Agder and parts of Rogaland, but western Norway is also affected.
– In Bergen, precipitation is expected, but milder temperatures. Further inland, there may be a risk of snow, Granan says.
Central Norway is leaving behind a weekend marked by construction weather, with a number of challenging conditions that have led to traffic accidents.
– The showers will be most intense on Sunday and subside beyond Monday. Tuesday looks mostly good, but with the risk of night frost. During the week there will be easterly winds, and some precipitation. The temperatures will rise somewhat, but you do not have to go far up in the terrain before you encounter snow, Granan says.
Clear and cold in the north
In the north of the country, on the other hand, it seems to be heading towards a week of stay-at-home weather.
– Nordland and Troms will have some good weather, with mostly dry conditions. In Tromsø, minus degrees are expected, while Bodø will bring temperatures down to zero.
– In Alta, conditions are good, but with scattered precipitation and temperatures below zero degrees, state meteorologist Granan adds.
Help us improve, give your feedback.