Winter came this week abruptly on many. On Tuesday, the first snow came in large parts of southern Norway, but the winter was no more than a short bluff.
Towards the weekend and next week, it looks like it will be milder in large parts of the country.
– Now it is autumn, and then it is often the case that we have slightly colder periods with low snow limits, before there is a low pressure from the southwest which gives milder weather. The weather we have now is not particularly abnormal, says state meteorologist Rannveig Eikill at the Meteorological Institute to NTB.
She says that the snow line is now on the way up.
– Even though there will be some precipitation on Wednesday, there will be no snow until over 1,500 meters, and it is relatively high. On Friday, it looks like it might be a little cooler, but the snow line will probably not be as low as earlier in the week. In Agder, for example, there may be snow of 600–800 meters. In the west, there will be snow in the mountains, says Eikill.
Also in #South Norway there will soon be some stays in sight 👀 Thursday night the weather will be lighter, especially in the west, and on Friday the precipitation will also be in the east. But the stay weather will be short-lived, because already on Friday night it will rain again from the west ☔ pic.twitter.com/XcR4pQtnUs
– The Meteorologists (@Meteorologists) October 21, 2020
A little more precipitation in the north
There have been stays in large parts of northern Norway in recent days, but according to the meteorologist there may be a little more precipitation this weekend.
– Especially on Friday, it looks like Finnmark will get a lot of snow, and there may be a little more showers in Troms and in Nordland. It looks like the form of precipitation will vary slightly, and the temperature would be around zero degrees. It will probably mostly be sleet or snow, but at the very end of the coast there may be some rain, says Eikill.
Changing weather in the south
In Trøndelag, not so much precipitation is expected in the next few days.
– There may be some clouds and maybe a little sunshine on Friday, but on Sunday it can probably draw in some rain.
It seems to be most rain in Western Norway, but also in the eastern mountains you have to prepare for changing weather and rain.
– It seems to be nice parts of Friday, and then rain early Saturday, before it will lighten up a bit. On Sunday there will be a low pressure, and then it will probably rain both in the west and east, says the meteorologist.