- Denmark – Sweden 26-24 (13-13)
Denmark were big favorites before the World Cup final against Sweden. And despite impressive play from the championship’s surprise team Sweden, Denmark takes its second World Cup gold in a row and defends the gold from 2019.
Thus, there was no long-awaited gold medal for the Swedes. Sweden’s Norwegian coach Glenn Solberg can still cheer for Sweden’s first championship medal since 2001.
– For a championship Sweden has delivered. They gave the Danes a fight right to the door, said TV3 commentator Daniel Høglund after the match.
– That is impressive. Landin is absolutely fantastic, says TV3 expert Joachim Boldsen and praises Niklas Landin who is a fantastic match in the Denmark goal.
– We found some forces we did not think we had. It was a fantastic team effort, Landin told Danish TV 2 after the match according to NTB.
Good Swedish start
It was the stage for an all-Scandinavian duel when Sweden and Denmark were to fight for the most precious metal in the final handball World Cup. Sweden is the big surprise team this World Cup, while Denmark came into this championship as reigning champions.
The final place meant that the Swedes’ Norwegian coach, Glenn Solberg, had in any case secured Sweden’s first World Cup medal since 2001. Denmark were big favorites before the match, but it was Sweden who should start best.
The teams followed each other closely in the first half and it was 13-13 when the teams went to the break.
The Danes had problems midway through the round when Denmark’s only natural right wing, Lasse Svan, had to leave with an injury. It was very bad news for the Danes, who had to play back Mathias Gidsel on the edge.
– It is critical, says TV 3 commentator Kristian Kjelling.
But the damage to Svan should not stop the Danes.
For Denmark set the pace in the second round. And despite the fact that Sweden followed for a long time, the Danes eventually became too strong.
Thus, Denmark defends the gold from 2019.
These were the last five World Cup winners before Sunday’s Nordic duel in Egypt (NTB):