Roy Keane reaches out to Manchester United’s lack of will and mentality. The club legend doubts Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s title chances.
For the first time in a long time, Manchester United has been mentioned as a title candidate, but a number of weak results in recent weeks create doubts.
In midweek, they lost to dump candidate Sheffield United. On Sunday, there was a new points loss against Arsenal, and Manchester City can increase the gap at the top of the table to six points with one game less played.
After the draw in London, club legend Roy Keane questioned the mentality of United players.
– Imagine that you are playing for Manchester United and lack the belief that you can win a football match. They lacked intensity. You can come up with excuses, but Arsenal lacked several players, and everything was in place for them to win, says the Irishman, who is an expert at Sky Sports.
He thinks Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s men do not cope with the pressure a title hunt leads me.
– In recent weeks, people have talked about United’s title chances. But it is almost as if the challenge scares them. I have long questioned the mentality of these players, says a critical Keane.
Solskjær felt his team had deserved the victory over Arsenal.
– I think we had the biggest chances to win the match, the Norwegian said after the match.
Arteta after the Ødegaard debut: – Very gifted
The Red Devils have an impressive streak of away games. 18 games in a row, they have gone undefeated on foreign grass.
Against the other top teams, however, United are struggling. In the last six matches against the top six teams, there has only been one goal. Two of the matches have ended in losses, the rest a draw.
United’s lack of winning instinct in the big games, such as against Arsenal on Sunday, means that Keane is supported by Jamie Carragher.
Solskjær: – They are not United fans
– It is almost as if United can not comprehend that they are where they are, says the former Liverpool player about the club’s table position.
Solskjær and co. is at the time of writing in 2nd place in the Premier League. Carragher believes United are not really ready to become league champions, but warns that it will hardly be easier to win next season.
– Manchester City have no strikers, Liverpool have no midfielders. It’s a strange season. Manchester United have a fantastic opportunity, but it’s almost like they’re just happy to be there.