This is confirmed by the Norwegian Football Association in a press release on Tuesday.
The NFF had long hoped to play the match at Ullevaal Stadium in Oslo, but it was greatly weakened after the government in January introduced strict entry restrictions.
– Too bad we can not play in familiar surroundings
Since then, it has been speculated that the Turkey match could be moved to a stadium in southern Spain. On Tuesday, it was confirmed that the match will be played at Malaga’s home ground.
– Norwegian corona regulations on entry and quarantine rules can create extra challenges, something the national team management has also expressed concern about. This arrangement will create more calm and better preparations for the match, although it is a pity that we can not play in familiar surroundings on our home field at Ullevaal, says NFF general secretary Pål Bjerketvedt.
Norway opens the World Cup qualifier away against Gibraltar on March 24. The team will meet in Marbella for this match, and will thus remain in the same area afterwards to play the match against Turkey three days later.
After that, the gathering ends with an away match in Montenegro on March 30.
– Marbella Football Center is a place we are well acquainted with, have very good training facilities, and will ensure that the team is best prepared for three important matches, says NFF-Bjerketvedt.
Norway’s national team manager Ståle Solbakken recently said that the home advantage is not the same as before the corona pandemic.
– I have prepared for the fact that it may be difficult (to play at Ullevaal). And in any case, it will probably be without spectators, and with that in mind, it may not be the most important thing with a home arena, Solbakken told NTB.
Uncertainty around Montenegro
His debut match as Norway coach takes place in the aforementioned away match against Gibraltar on March 24.
It is highly doubtful whether the match against Montenegro can be played in Podgorica on March 30. The development of infection in Montenegro has gone completely wrong lately. The development is called dramatic by the Balkan media.
– I do not spend much energy on this. A lot can still happen, says Solbakken.
He announces his first team selection on March 15 or 16.